Last week we had a webinar where three, experienced Community Managers (CMGRs) shared with us their top attributes and tips for successful CMGRs.
I say experienced because they’re responsible for high-volume social brands, such as restaurants, celebrities and breaking news sites.
Even though each CMGR had their own opinions about social media and how it should be rocked, there were many reoccurring themes that popped up. Not one to leave this info on the table, I knew it was too important not to share!
Meet The Panel:
Successful CMGRs Seem To Always:
- Be adaptable – The world of social media is fast paced and always changing, you’ve gotta keep up with the flow if you want remain relevant. Flexibility and multitasking were big topics.
- Prepare – Jonathan said their content calendars help them keep up with what their audience is talking about, not what they want to push or what Holidays are coming up. And Rachel added that sometimes preparations take weeks. So while being adaptable is key, so is planning, strategy and execution.
- Teamwork – This was interesting since many CMGRs feel like they’re in a bubble with their jobs. Carrie and Jonathan said that collaboration in this role is key – even if it means partnering up with your communities to create killer content or other usable information.
- Community Essentials – Mentioned SEVERAL times were skills like listening, developing brand voice, and some serious knowledge about your online communities. I think Jonathan gave a golden nugget by mentioning that CMGRs should be peeking in on their communities even when they’re not engaging them to see what they’re up to and glean insights on their interests.
- Patience – Learning to play nice (even when others aren’t) was another common thread. And as Jonathan put it, “Don’t feed the trolls.” Your tone comes across in everything you do online, so it’s best to put on a smile and handle complaints and nastiness with grace and poise.
Have any CMGR tips you’d like to toss in the ring? Please share and let us know in the comments section below!
See you in the social sphere!
Latest posts by Brooke B. Sellas (see all)
- How To Build A Brand Community With Your Audiences - February 24, 2021
- The 8+ Components Every Successful Ad Campaign Must Have - January 27, 2021
- 2021 Social Media Trends - January 13, 2021