If you’re using social media, then you’re probably using hashtags. Hashtags are a great way to categorize content and make it easier for people to find what they’re looking for.
Additionally, they can be used to start or join conversations about specific topics. However, hashtags can also be misused, which can lead to decreased engagement and even get you banned from some social media platforms. In order to avoid this, it’s important to use hashtags effectively.
What are hashtags?
Hashtags are simply words or phrases with the pound sign (#) in front of them. For example, #socialmedia #bsquared, etc. Hashtags can be used on most social media platforms, such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Why should you use hashtags?
Hashtags are a great way to increase the reach of your content and get more eyes on your posts. When used correctly, hashtags can help you connect with new people and even attract potential customers. Hashtags sort the plethora of content on the internet into categories. Users can quickly search a hashtag or even follow a hashtag to be shown content using that hashtag regularly in their feed.
How can you use hashtags effectively?
- Use relevant hashtags. If you’re posting about cats, then use hashtags like #cats, #kittens, or #catstagram. Don’t use irrelevant hashtags just to get more views.
- Use popular hashtags. Hashtags like #instacat or #caturday are always popular and will help you get more views. There is no shortage of tools on the internet to find popular hashtags in your niche.
- Use unique hashtags. If you want to stand out from the crowd, then use unique hashtags that describe your specific content. For example, if you’re posting a photo of your cat sleeping, you could use the hashtag #catsleep or #zzzcat.
- Don’t overdo it. Using too many hashtags will make your content look spammy and will turn people off from viewing it. Stick to 1-2 hashtags per post and you’ll be good to go.
How could you be banned from using hashtags incorrectly on social media platforms?
If you use too many hashtags, post irrelevant hashtags, or spam other users with hashtags, then you could be banned from using hashtags on some social media platforms. Additionally, if you use a hashtag that is banned on a certain platform, you could also be banned from using hashtags on that platform. So it’s important to use them wisely!
Are there different hashtags rules for different platforms?
Yes, there are definitely different hashtag rules for different platforms. For example, on Twitter, it’s best to use 1-2 hashtags per post, while on Instagram you can use up to 30 hashtags. To use hashtags on LinkedIn effectively, it’s best to use them sparingly and only use industry-specific hashtags.
Hashtags are also banned entirely on some platforms, such as Google+. Additionally, some platforms allow you to follow certain hashtags, while others do not. So be sure to familiarize yourself with the Hashtag rules for each platform before using them. You can see how to use hashtags on Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Graphics like the one below help to illustrate the importance of not over or under using hashtags.
Source: Smart Insights
Should you use hashtags on Facebook?
The short answer is: no. Hashtags were not originally intended for use on Facebook and they don’t really serve a purpose there. In fact, using hashtags on Facebook can actually decrease the reach of your posts. So it’s best to avoid using them altogether.
In conclusion, hashtags are a great way to increase the reach of your content and connect with new people. However, it’s important to use them effectively in order to avoid being banned from using them on social media platforms. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Hashtag rules for each platform before using them. Thanks for reading!
Latest posts by Joanna Maher (see all)
- How Everyday Social Media Users are Becoming Influential Content Creators - October 11, 2023
- Get the Most Bang for Your Advertising Dollar - September 13, 2023
- Back to School & Back to Marketing Basics - August 23, 2023